Updated: Oct 13, 2021
When giving gifts for baby showers or for new mums and babies, it can be tempting to buy things like cute baby outfits, toys, rattles and anything soft and fluffy. These items are gorgeous and have a place in every new baby gift.
However, many of us want to give something a bit more practical that the new mother will use every day. Here are a few things to think about when buying a practical gift:
· Clothing: Baby clothing makes a great gift. When you want to keep it practical, keep it simple. Choose one-piece jumpsuits. The best ones have zips and make late-night nappy changes much easier. Anything with straps, buttons or multiple pieces are impractical and babies only wear them a handful of times. Many people also give clothing in newborn sizes. Babies outgrow these sizes so quickly, so try buying clothing in a size bigger so the baby can grow into it.
· Nappies, wipes, cloths and nappy cream: These items will always be needed and will be used by every new parent. Buy some nappies in newborn size and also the next size up, as babies grow very quickly! Think about the new parents’ values too. Would they prefer eco friendly or compostable nappies? Would they prefer cloth nappies? Buy something that aligns with their values
· Nappy Bag: Nappy bags are one of the most practical gifts you can give. Think about a nappy bag that will be practical and stylish for a new mother. Personally I love my nappy backpacks and use them every day!
Our new nappy backpacks are coming soon! Contact us to put in your pre-order now!
· Baby carrier: A baby carrier is one of the most useful gifts you can give! These are an absolute lifesaver for any baby and mother. Make sure you buy a carrier that is supportive for a mother to wear, and is hip health for baby. Look at reviews online for baby carriers, or ask the mother what her preference is. Even better, buy her a voucher and she can choose one herself.
· Vouchers: Vouchers are amazing, as the new parents can choose items that they need themselves. You can buy vouchers for baby stores, or get creative and try vouchers for some of the following places:
o Menu Log or Uber Eats – there will be many nights when the new parents don’t feel like cooking. These services are a life saver!
o The nearest coffee shop – going for walks to get coffee is amazing! A coffee voucher can encourage the new mother to get out of the house and enjoy some time outside with her baby
o Chemist – I got a chemist warehouse voucher for my baby shower and it was one of the most practical gifts! With a baby we are always at the chemist buying all sorts of items such as nappies, wipes, dummies, breastfeeding and pumping accessories and medicine
o Laundry service – We have a local laundry service and they offer gift vouchers! Laundry is one of the most time consuming chores, and getting help with it takes such a weight off the shoulders!
· Yourself! The last (and perhaps most practical) gift I recommend is giving your own practical support. This can include things like cooking, buying groceries, doing laundry, or providing any other practical help the new parents might need.
Still need ideas? Check out our Baby Essentials Gift Hamper!
Written by Rachel Preston Broughton
Rachel is a mother of two, and the owner of Baby and Mumma Gifts. Contact me for my personal recommendations on baby gifts and looking after new mothers!